despite my constant refusal for two years now to replace the majority of the working parts in my desktop computer (due to money issues), the thing is still functioning fairly well. now it's almost three and a half years old, and while it (sadly) won't play anything close to resembling a new computer game, it still does everything else i'd like it to do semi-competently.
it's also good at catching horrible viruses, as i found out earlier this week. fortunately, after i devoted most of the 3 hours i actually had available for sleeping late both last night and the night before to editing system files from the command prompt (the computer wouldn't boot fully, even in safe mode), i seem to have exorcised the demon.
seeing as how the main thrust of my repair effort involved inserting vista system files and values into an xp registry...well, things might not last that well for long. but so far my fix is holding.
now all i have to do is drudge up the funds to do a motherboard/video card/RAM/case replacement and i'll be set!
I'm jealous of you. Everything you just wrote made complete sense to you I'm sure. I was with you until "editing system files" then my eyes crossed...
ReplyDeleteMan, sounds like you're having good times. I mean, what can be better than manually editing the registry and playing with system files? Hell, that's what I do in my spare time, when I'm not coding up. And hey, whatever, vista, xp, it's all backwards compatible. Shit, I just usually code up some virtual duct tape. My OS is more self-coding than anything else at this point. Re-installs are for chumps!
ReplyDelete