i really liked this RA quote i just ran across. reminds me why i'm pretty convinced that making a conscious effort to keep people from dating me is sort of doing the public at large a service:
"The excesses of romance make sense to me. Like, I can meet someone and immiedately vibe with them and feel love and feel close enough to care, and I can be very protective and overzealous about it. Then sometimes I'll reflect onto myself while I'm doing these things, and I'll realize I'm at my shit worst. Like, heart on chain, dragging through the mud with ice cream cone and sand behind me. I actually love things so much it kills me. It drives me absolutely mad, and I can't find a place to get jaded. I mean, I've had a succession of romantic downfalls in my life, and yet I don't ever find the jaded part. I don't think, I'm just gonna wait around and see if things will be okay, and maybe this'll all pan out, and maybe the truth will come to me in a week. I never accept that, it has to be immediate. I won't accept less, and if I can't have the immediacy then I invent the myth of why it isn't there. I said the other day to a friend, 'Well, fuck, I wouldn't date me, man. I'd definitely go out for a drink with me, but there's no way in hell I'd date me.' The only real full-time people in this world, it seems to me, are people of faith, like a preacher or a saint, a criminal or an artist, because 24 hours a day, those people are always on to something. We're so busy being in love with the world that we can't help but recreate it and keep trying to turn it into our own truth."
RA on john mayer:
"[John Mayer] doesn't cuss. I ran into him at Virgin Megastore, and he was nice. I was like, 'Aw, man, I've been talking so much shit about you.' And he said, 'Man, I figured that.' And I was like, 'You're a really nice guy, but you don't drink or smoke, so you're making me look bad.' We had adjoining rooms at a radio convention, and he came over and asked me to put out my cigarette. I think I closed the door in his face. Then Elton John called and goes, 'Be nice to John Mayer. He's afraid of you.'"
RA on conor oberst:
"I'm supposed to be this big party guy, but [Conor Oberst] called me at 6 or 7 P.M., when I was planning to go to his gig at 9 or something, and he's like, 'Dude, let's meet for drinks.' And I'm like, 'Conor, it isn't even dark yet.' He's like, 'Man, I want to talk to the crazy Ryan.' And I said, 'Crazy Ryan is on holiday, because Crazy Ryan tried to kill Regular Ryan.' You know, Conor made me feel old!"
$10 says RA has been diagnosed with bipolar at least once!
ReplyDeleteso i'm commenting on the fact that i'm not commenting...
ReplyDeletei started to read this post, and i don't know...i felt i could relate too much. i had a feeling it would make me think. too much.
mayhaps i'll comment again when i'm ready to think.
i wish i had that ability. alas...
ReplyDelete