i don't really like this one, but the premise is awesomely creepy.
Friday twilight, car pushing a semicircle of headlight through falling darkness.
Road spools out like concrete ribbon underneath spinning wheels.
Empty green, rolling countryside in all directions
Save for a second concrete ribbon, and a white triangle’s worth of building off to the side.
Around the building, young children play, jumping and shouting.
Many stand, watching the sun fall the rest of the way out of the sky.
Strangely, all dressed in matching white, as they play in patches here and there.
I follow the thread of road on and away from the playground.
Sunday morning, road stretching in the opposite direction, the car and I following.
We approach again the white triangle and children.
This time, in the sunlight, the identity of the children is given away.
I now understand why they stood so still.
The children are made of granite, backs to the rising sun.
At each of their feet lies a skeleton, and atop the building, a crucifix.
These children haven’t jumped or shouted for years; never will again.
I leave them behind, following the thread towards the rising sun they can never see.
No comments:
Post a Comment