Mymain complaint with Teleglitch
(other
than it being bastard-hard and just outright hating me) was that it
failed to really give me any feedback, and I suppose I could say the
same thing about Gratuitous
Space Battles.
GSB
is another well-reviewed game that went on to spawn a number of DLC
packs and, later, a tank-filled sequel. I got the original game in
some super-cheap bundle, was really excited about it, really, really
tried to like it for about five hours of play, and then completely
gave up.
Apparently, it's a really deep strategy game worthy of lots of
brow-beetling and micromanagement (which normally I very much enjoy);
however, I had a real hard time understanding how I was expected to
be involved in playing the game at all since it refused to ever tell
me anything.
![]() |
| Just like women! Right, guys? Am I right or what? Huh? HUH?! Shopping. |
The
original GSM is,
essentially, just a series of battles you choose to fight in whatever
order from a menu. The weird thing (to me, at least) about GSB
is that you spend lots and lots of time preparing for each of these
battles designing ships, customizing preexisting ships, orienting
ships and placing them on a grid, and then you click “GO” and
watch the battle fight itself. I don't necessarily expect a lot of
verisimilitude in my gaming (Minecraft
is
one of my favorite games), but this is not how battles work. In fact,
the entire understanding of modern warfare is based on hierarchies,
chain of command, and dissemination of orders that change on a
minute-to-minute or second-to-second basis. Strike one against GSM
is
that it creates a hypothetical battlefield in which each soldier is
given his/her own equipment and set of orders and turned loose with
no way to recall that soldier or to organize sets of soldiers into
specific formations.
For
example, unless I'm a complete idiot, there's no way to make your
tiny, fragile fighters hold off from drawing a big enemy cruiser's
fire (for the purposes of having your cruiser sidle up alongside it
unmolested) until your cruiser gets into an advantageous position.
Instead, what happens every
time is
that your fighters (faster fliers, by nature) jet out ahead and get
massacred before your big ships can even cover the distance to the
enemy fleet. By putting the fighters behind the rest of my formation,
I increased the amount of distance they had to cover and thus could
approximate the effect I wanted, but shit. Seriously. Back when all
we had were horses and big pieces of metal to hit each other with,
armies didn't have to put the horses in the back of the formation to
keep them from running in a straight line right into the enemy lines
ahead of the rest of the army. Because we had mouths and ears and
could tell soldiers to wait until it was time to attack. That the
game simulates this kind of illogically weird battlefield makes it
hard to learn and made me not terribly inclined to bother with it
after a few hours.
The killer, though, was the lack of feedback during and between
battles. The ship-building and fleet-arranging screens let you
customize the pre-battle to a ridiculous level of detail (and this
probably really appeals to a certain type of gamer). However, once
you get into the battle, there's just a lot of flashy explosions and
status bars that correspond to each ship's hull integrity and really
no way to tell if the fighter-seeking missiles you bought are working
or if that second beam-shield you installed on your cruiser is making
it die less fast. It's absolutely the feeling of turning in a
detailed, nuanced essay at the end of a 15-week college course just
to get it returned with a “B+” marked on the front page and
nothing else. When I won, I didn't know why I won. When I lost, I
didn't know why I lost. I play a lot of video games. It shouldn't be
this hard for me to understand how the game communicates feedback to
me. Therefore, I have to conclude the feedback just isn't being
communicated.
And that sucks, because building the fleets is pretty fun, and I
imagine that over the course of the campaign, as one creates and
saves more and more custom layouts, that it provides a pretty good
feeling of actually creating something clever. Too bad the game
really doesn't have any way of rewarding you for that cleverness.


No comments:
Post a Comment