I'm writing all of these reviews in a row while flying from Cleveland
to San Francisco. So, if my word choice is getting stupider as we go,
that's my excuse.
Anyway,
next up on the review treadmill is Anodyne,
a game I actually finished and generally liked. I have no ulterior
motives when it comes to this review. I just want to talk about
something that was nice and that I liked.
![]() |
| I liked this. |
I
played a demo of Anodyne
and
it won me over. I paid $10 for it on Steam. I don't know that it was
worth that much, but I was at home alone in my parents house at night
and was bored because I sort of hate TV. If you see this game on sale
for under $5, I'd recommend it. If you are not strapped for
entertainment sources in the middle of the night and you pay $10 for
it, you might come away feeling a little bit ripped off.
How's that for topical cohesion in a paragraph?!
![]() |
| THIS IS HOW THE WORLD LASERS WORK, FELLOW LEMON GIANTS!!! AOUVAE;JAFDKFJKADLJAE? |
Anodyne
is
pretty clearly based off of the early NES and SNES Zelda
games
in terms of gameplay. Even the status bar thing at the top of the
screen is basically lifted from the original Zelda.
Unlike the other recent Zelda-homage
The Binding Of
Isaac,
though, there's no roguelike action welded on here. Instead, it's
just a straight-up action-adventure from out of the old days. A
well-designed overworld and dungeons, subtle ambient-ish soundtrack,
solid “feeling” controls, and great art direction (within a
classic Game Boy Color-esque palette) all help make it a fun
six-hours-or-so playthrough.
The
premise of the game, as near as I can tell, is that it takes place
inside the main character's subconscious. The main gripe I've seen
online about Anodyne
is
that it doesn't actually have a “story,” but I'd disagree with
that. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of obviously meaningful dialoge.
There's no MacGuffin, per se, and we don't learn directly about the
main character's backstory. However, if you're willing to read a bit
between the lines Anodyne
says
a lot by saying very little, using colors, visual cues, and musical
themes to communicate a lot of what would usually just be
communicated via a text box and clunky exposition. I liked this. I
can see how some people wouldn't, but to me, Anodyne
is
one of the more successfully “literary” games I've played.
![]() |
| THIS IS JUST A MOVIE ABOUT PARTIES AND HOW AWESOME THEY ARE |
In
the same way that someone outside of a literature class might read
Ulysses
for five pages and conclude that it's utter, worthless madness while
someone in such a class might pore over details until patterns of
meaning start to emerge, paying close attention (performing a “close
reading”) of Anodyne
is
rewarding. But if that sounds stupid to you, it's probably going to
be stupid and you won't like it. But that's not because you're
stupid. Anodyne
isn't
especially “deep” in the way that guy in your English class with
the patchwork pants and bandanna was, but it communicates in meaning
in ways that we generally don't expect games to, and that makes it
interesting to me. Morever, it does this well, not just as a gimmick,
and that makes it satisfying to me as a gameplay experience.
If
you're the kind of player who doesn't need much out of a five-hour
game except a little low-difficulty puzzling and dungeon-crawling as
well as a little hack-and-slash, you could also probably just ignore
all the high-falutin' shit and enjoy the game purely as a game. But
on this level there are a million other games like Anodyne
already
out there, so why choose this one?
What elevates this already-solid game is the way it presents its
themes and conflicts. If you feel like searching for meaning as well
as for keys and weapon upgrades in a low-fi Game Boy Color world,
this is a game that's going to feel like it was made just for you.
Semi-gripe:
it's a bit short for $10, but honestly by the time the game was over
I felt sort of done with it, in an
I-liked-this-but-now-it's-starting-to-get-repetitive way. I didn't
really expect it to show me anything else interesting, and it didn't
seem to want to. I did
figure
out how to do the tile-switching post-game thingie, but wasn't really
compelled to revisit the game just for the sake of that.



No comments:
Post a Comment