1. globalization (and what this does to our ideas of place, race, class, gender, etc.)
2. apocalypse and environment
3. the intarwebs
yes, that's a really freaking broad list, but the way i understand this class, i'm not supposed to be lecturing, but mostly just facilitating discussion; so i want to start broad and only narrow down when/if necessary.
anyway, i just sent my booklist off, so here's what we're going to be reading:
Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens (Novel)
Neil Gaiman, American Gods, (Novel)
Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash (Novel)
Peter Chilson, Disturbance-Loving Species (Short stories)
Frank Miller, 300 (Graphic novel and film)
Cormac McCarthy, The Road (Novel and film)
Max Brooks, World War Z (Novel)
John Krakauer, Into the Wild (Novel and film)
Note: The film version of The Road may be cut from the schedule due to time constraints and depending on when it becomes available on DVD.
Note 2: I'm really pumped about using WWZ to talk about politics and cultural assumptions, etc. And also zombies.
I'm really excited to teach the class, though at the same time I had to sort of throw this booklist together when in reality there were about 20 more books I wanted to read before choosing which ones I wanted to teach. Apparently they usually offer the class in the fall only, which would have given me the entire summer to decide on books, but instead I got about two weeks. So I'm hoping my choices will work out. I'm just glad to actually be teaching about books. more on this later.
Hey! Two of those books are on my Emma list (Krakauer and Gaiman). Maybe I should be taking your class:)
ReplyDeleteIt's pretty impressive you were able to cut the list down so fast! I've still never seen or read Into the Wild, but I like the choice nonetheless =)
ReplyDelete